Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Australian Pockets



My Sister-in-Law, Amber, was living with my Mother and Father-in-law for a few months this fall. Her husband, Greg, was transferred to Tasmania, Australia and she stayed behind for a while to get all of their things in order. Three weeks before she moved over with him, Greg's sister, Tracey, came to stay. Greg is originally from Australia and his family is all located over there. Spencer was pretty fascinated by Tracey. She told him all sorts of stories and facts about the "Land down under." The night before they left Tracey gave both of my boys an Australian coin. They were so excited. Spencer put the coin in his mouth to hold for just a minute. We all told him to take it out because money is dirty. He wanted to know why money was dirty. We told him all of the reasons that money could be dirty (ex. dirty hands touching it, falling on the ground) . I guess one of the reasons really concerned him, because on the way home that night he said "Crap. I forgot to ask Tracey something." We asked him what he needed to know. He said "I wanted to ask her why they don't have pockets in Australia." Brandon and I were puzzled. We asked him to explain why he thought they didn't have pockets in Australia. His reply was "Because they have to put their money in their shoe." Brandon and I laughed and explained to him that they did have pockets, but sometimes people just stick money in their shoe, even in the United States.

0 comments: